The Dreamers
Steward
Clawk Music Co. BMI
Dream JF-45-101
1959
Ralph W. Steward, Dreamers lead singer and lead guitarist died Dec. 27, 2010.
Wally_Dow http://www.bandmix.com/wally_dow/ remembers :
I launched my music career while living in Clearwater, Florida. I played quite a few teen dances in the Clearwater area. I remember the first band to influence me was a group I first saw at the old Clearwater Auditorium called The Dreamers a band which was lead by a guitarist/vocalist from Largo, Florida named Ralph Steward. I used to go to the dances and watch Ralph and his other guitarist, Pete Bass (I hope I remember his name correctly) play, and then go home and practice what I saw them doing on an old acoustic guitar.
The two songs mentioned in the article above, "It's Gonna Be All Right" and "Don't Cry", were issued in 1959 on Nuggett Records, Tampa label owned by Lonzo and Oscar, once a popular country act.



In 1987 a 2nd single Dream (FL) 45 - 1223 Little Girl (version 2) / This I Swear + a LP Dream (FL) LP - 1223 "Yesterday Once More" was issued same band?
ReplyDeleteDreamers Featuring Ralph Stewart had (1958) Tri-Dec (FL) 45 - 8757 Dear I / Only Time
ReplyDeleteThe name of band member Pete Dunn
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to take a moment to say thank you, with all my heart, for posting this information on your blog. It means more to me than words can say.
ReplyDeleteRalph Steward was my uncle—my dad, Ernie Steward’s, brother, as well as brother to Steve Steward, who was also in the band. We lost my dad in 2014, so seeing this piece of our family history shared like this is incredibly special. Growing up in Indian Rocks Beach and going to Osceola H.S. back in '81-'82, I was always surrounded by legendary stories of Uncle Ralph and the "Great" Sam Cooke playing music together and writing songs.
The music definitely stayed in the family. I have two sons and a daughter now, and my son Spencer plays the guitar like Eric Clapton. Whenever I watch him play, I honestly wonder if Ralph’s spirit is right there in him.
Thank you again for keeping his memory and his music alive. It brought a lot of joy to our family today. πΆπ
— Jimmy